Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Top 4 Absolute Favorite Avocado Recipes!

I have developed a ridiculous obsession..with Avocados.
 
I don't know when, why or how it happened but I always used to think avocados were just "okay", but never was on the bandwagon of the obsession.
Well, that changed, I think I may be the driver of the bandwagon now, or at least I have shotgun.
 
Since my obsession started I have come up with tons of recipes for avocados and I haven't found one I didn't like and of course I had to share.
 
 
Simple, simple, simple, simple, simpleee... so how is this so incredibly delicious? This is actually what I had for breakfast this morning + is super filling! [And ps. I think we should all collectively start calling the peeling of the avocado the "shell". I mean honestly, it looks like a shell, feels like a shell -- so it's a shell. Done.
Ingredients:
1/2 Avocado
Cracked Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Garlic Powder
Salt
 
Directions:
1. Using a knife, slice the avocado in half + remove the pit.
2. Take half of the Avocado and scoop it towards the center, mashing it with a fork.
3. Season it to your liking! I like a lot of seasoning so I used a generous amount of Cracked Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Powder and Salt. I have also tried it with Garlic Salt, Red Pepper Flakes and Ground Black Pepper!
 
 
 
 
I cannot stop dreaming about this breakfast. I don't know what it was that made this so incredibly delicious. Maybe because I was in Texas [everything is bigger in Texas, right?], or because I was about to workout, or maybe it was because of the cheese. I am still not sure, but goodness gracious it was amazing!

Ingredients:
1 slice Whole Wheat Bread
1/2 Avocado [halved, peeled, seeded and mashed]
2 slices Turkey
1 small slice sharp Cheddar Cheese
Cracked Pepper
Lowry's Seasoned Salt
Red Pepper Flakes
 
Directions:
1. Turn your oven on 'HI - Broil'. Toast the bread in a toaster to your liking [the crispier the better].
2. Next, scoop half of the Avocado out and spread onto the piece of toasted bread.
3. Season with Cracked Pepper, Lowry's Seasoned Salt, and Red Pepper Flakes to your liking [again, I was generous].
4. Top with sliced Turkey and cheese. Place on foil lined baking sheet and place in the oven until cheese is melted/bubbling and turkey is warm [about 3-5 minutes].
5. Enjoy, and try not to make this for every meal -- it will be hard ; )
 
 
Okay, yeah of course guac -- it's like the grandfather of avocado recipes. Peter's favorite kind of guacamole is the "simpler, the better". I on the other hand do not like that. I like mine to have as much stuff as I can fit into it and still call it guacamole and not a salad.  
 
Ingredients:
2-3 Avocados [halved, peeled, seeded and mashed]
2-3 Roma Tomatoes
3/4 large White Onion
1-2 Limes [juiced]
1/4 cup Cilantro
1/2 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper [to taste]
 
Directions:
1. Chop the Roma Tomatoes [I personally love Roma Tomatoes for guac because they are a lot firmer and flavorful -- I hate having super soft tomatoes in guac -- bleh, the texture] and Onion. *If you like your onion to be chopped finer do that -- I like mine to be chunky to where I can see them.
2. In a medium sized bowl [or your favorite guac mixing dish] mix the Avocados with the Tomatoes, Onion, Lime Juice, Cilantro, Garlic Powder and Red Pepper Flakes.
3. Mix well, and add salt and pepper to your liking!
 
This guac is super flavorful and will make you want to put it on just about anything! Sorry there is no picture -- can't keep it around long enough to snap a pic ; )
 
 
Funny story about this -- So about a month back my Mom came home with canned Chicken. I was beyond confused because we never buy chicken from a can. She told me that apparently my Grandparents bought it at the store, thought it was tuna, and then realized -- it was not. So they decided to give it to us in hopes that we had some use for it. Well my Mom ended up making some incredible chicken salad out of it!  
 
Ingredients:
2 cans Chicken [shredded]
5 boiled eggs (only use 2-3 yolks)
2-3 TBSP Mayonnaise
3 Celery Stalks (chopped)
1/4 cup Green Onions
2-3 TBSP Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt
1-2 Avocados [halved, peeled, seeded and mashed]
Onion Powder [to taste]
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper [to taste]
 
Directions:
1. Drain the water from the can of chicken. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine, shredded chicken, boiled eggs [only 2-3 of the egg yolks], mayo, celery, green onions and mix well.
2. Next, add the Greek yogurt, and mashed avocados. Mix in the Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper [to taste] and Red Pepper Flakes for a little extra spice.
 
My Mom made the Chicken Salad one day and when I came home I added the yogurt and avocados to it to add a little pizzazz! It was a perfect, delicious spin on your regular Chicken Salad -- you could also add avocados and Greek yogurt to any Chicken Salad, even ones you buy from the store! I ate mine the next day as a lettuce wrap and then with wheat thins and it was incredible you can even top it on a salad and use it as the dressing -- it's that good!
 
That's all the Avocado recipes I have, for now. Hope everyone has a fantastic Fourth of July! If you need ideas for some healthy treats to take to a party of make for yourself tomorrow check out some of my Fourth of July Healthy Ideas here!
 
Have a fit + fantastic day!
See ya tomorrow for FITtastic Friday + FITfourthtastic July!

No comments:

Post a Comment