Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Healthy Fourth of July Recipes!

It's every American's favorite holiday -- full of Red, White and Blue, lots of hot dogs, fireworks and some good old American booze.
 
It's Independence Day Y'all, or as I like to call is the 'MERICA day.
 
To me the perfect 4th of July is spent watching the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, listening to American Pandora [yep, it exists] and eating way too many hot dogs.
This 4th of July I have zero plans [yet], other than sitting in my backyard waving an American flag and yelling, "God Bless the USA" to random strangers, that's about all I've got. But things always seem to come up + who knows where I'll be spending this joyous occasion.
 
For most of us, the Fourth of July is a relaxing day spent with good friends, enjoying the amazing country we live in + eating. Oh yes, eating.
Basically every holiday revolves around eating, but to me it seems like this one especially.
 
This Fourth, I'm dedicated to making it a healthy one [so I can eat some hot dogs & feel less guilty about it ; ) ]. I found TONS of healthy recipes for Fourth of July and had to share! Click the title + picture of each food to get the recipe!
http://www.skinnymom.com/2014/05/12/skinny-gourmet-hotdogs/
Skinny Gourmet Hotdogs | Obviously this would be the first thing I would put on my list. Duh. I love hot dogs, even healthy ones ; ) No 4th of July party is complete without some delicious hot dogs. Oh and yup, I'm having hot dogs for dinner.
Patriotic Sliders | In the words of my friend Ellie "And... you're gonna eat a slider!" -- if you say so I guess, if you make me! I think the American flag on these babies make them even more scrumptious looking. Pop a tiny American flag on anything and I'd eat it!
                             http://www.familyeverafterblog.com/2012/06/red-white-and-blue-patriotic-fruit.html
Red, White & Blue Fruit Salad | So simple, so easy and so delicious. This is one of those recipes that is a crowd pleaser anywhere you go. I mean it's fruit people, who doesn't love some healthy, American fruit?
http://witandwhistle.com/2011/07/05/cookie-cutter-fruit-salad/
Cookie Cutter Fruit Salad | Give me this right now, every day for the rest of my life. Seriously. This may be the only way I will eat watermelon from here on out. It's like America exploded into a bowl-- and I love it!
 
                        http://thefrugalgirls.com/2013/05/4th-of-july-strawberries.html
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries + Sprinkles | Umm... disclaimer: tried these 2 years ago. Make sure you get the right dipping chocolate + follow the directions, because trying to dip strawberries in burnt/hard chocolate is not fun. Other than the small chocolate mishap, they were delicious and very easy to make!
Skinny Chocolate Filled Raspberries | HELLO, you guys know I love these from my post here. So of course I would put them on my America post! They would also be the perfect inexpensive treat to take to a party you're going to! These are the perfect fix for a sweet tooth without eating an entire piece of cake to satisfy the craving.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/red-white-and-blue-layered-flag-cake/9aaef2a0-b01d-4cb8-9bab-c0d0451a1065
Red, White and Blue Layered Flag Cake | Speaking of cake... I have to make this. Right now. If I don't it's like I am saying I hate America, right? Anyway, apparently this actually isn't that hard to make as long as you follow the directions to a "T". This reminds me of the Watermelon Cake we made, that would also be an awesome idea to bring to a party -- expect, keep it inside + refrigerated.
http://eatingrichly.com/07/july-4th-snack-recipe-almond-bark-popcorn/
Almond Bark Popcorn | Mhmm... popcorn sounds perfect right now. I can see it now, me watching an American classic, eating this entire batch in one sitting, that would be the most perfect end to the most perfect day. Ahhh...
http://www.skinnymom.com/2014/06/15/red-white-and-blue-trifle/
Red, White and Blue Trifle | Every time I hear the word trifle + see a recipe for one, I think of Rachel from "Friends". You know the episode. Monica puts her in charge of making the trifle for Thanksgiving -- she messes it up because she puts beef in it because the pages were stuck together and she misread the directions. Yep, it's a great one. Well, this trifle is a little more appetizing + a skinny recipe and also, extremely easy to make.
 
Last but not least, what fills every American's heart with love... the booze.
                               http://secretsresortsblog.com/2013/06/27/make-it-at-home-red-white-and-blue-sangria/

Red, White and Blue Sangria | Was I the only one who didn't know that there is a song about Sangria Wine? According to Peter [who knows all the words] I was crazy for never having heard it. But anyway, ahh... Sangria, such a refreshing drink + so American with the apple stars.
http://www.skinnymom.com/2014/06/05/fresh-cranberry-margaritas/
Fresh Cranberry Margaritas | Technically margaritas aren't American, and neither is Sangria. But we Americans do love our Margs and these are no different. If I end up making these I think they would be amazing with Watermelon instead of cranberries... because Watermelon is a must on the Fourth of July!
                          http://pizzazzerie.com/recipes/the-perfect-4th-of-july-cocktail/
Blueberry Coconut Sparkler | Can I have hmm.. 7 of these right now? Two reasons: 1] How festive are these? They immediately put you in the 'Merica spirit. 2] The coconut rum + the coconut on the rim would put me into a happily-ever-after-coconut-coma that I would be happy to accept.
 
I honestly think I have found my plans for the fourth. I may just make all of these delicious recipes, for myself. Okay, I won't be by myself enjoying this... Cabela will be there ; )
Enjoy your holiday everyone -- however you choose to spend it! And remember the real reason for that extra day off work -- thank those who fought/are fighting for our freedom and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Have a fit + fantastic day!


No comments:

Post a Comment