Thursday, July 31, 2014

Eatin' in the Season | Summer Tomato Pasta Salad!

It's time to take a bite out of summer. 
Literally.
 
I am all about eating foods that fit the season [except when I am craving a pumpkin spiced latte and its 90+ degrees outside...sometimes you just have to go to the store and buy something pumpkin flavored... you just gotta]. But, for the most part, I like to eat according to the season. This pasta salad, is the perfect summer lunch. ++ I am still dreaming out it.
 
I can't take all the credit for this one, well I really can't take any credit for it. Mollie brought this into work a few weeks ago and made me try it [because you know me... I always refuse food when offered to me... not].
 
IT. WAS. AH-MAZING. ++ It is probably, the easiest pasta salad ever.
 
I guess the only credit I can take for this one is revamping it a smidge. I was trying my best to eat Paleo//healthy because I was going to the beach the next week, so I decided to use my spaghetti squash in place of the regular spaghetti noodles. It just so happened that I had some left over from my Meat Sauce Recipe I made that night.
Ingredients:
4 small - medium sized Tomatoes (I used vine ripe Yellow + Red tomaotes but any Tomatoes would work!)
1-2 cups Spaghetti Squash (the original recipe calls for regular spaghetti noodles)
3-4 cloves Garlic (chopped)
5-6 leaves fresh Basil
Olive Oil (enough to cover the tomatoes)
Salt (to taste)

Directions:
1. Combine chopped tomatoes, garlic, basil and salt into a tuperware container (make sure it has a lid). Keep all of the juices from the tomatoes -- it adds to the flavor!

2. Next, pour enough Olive Oil to allow the tomatoes to "soak" in the oil + juices.
3. Cover, and place in the refrigerator overnight to allow the tomatoes to "marinate". Then top over warm cooked spaghetti squash!
You can either eat yours the way Mollie did [which is the way the recipe originally says to do it], OR, you can do what I did and eat it over warm spaghetti squash! Either way works and either way it is delicious!
The great thing about this recipe is how cheap it actually is. I mean they basically give away tomatoes at the grocery store + that huge bundle of basil in the pic above... $1 at the farmers market... there's not typo there. It really was $1.
 
I loved this tomato pasta salad + am going to start buying extra tomatoes whenever I do so I can always have this on had. It was quick, easy ++ super delicious! The way the flavors combine is nothing short of amazing.

Be honest, how many of you are looking at this and thinking; "She had to write a whole post about this.. it's literally tomatoes swimming it's own juices...". I thought so too... at first! Then I tasted it, and the heavens opened up and angels sang a majestic song of joy.
 
Okay, maybe that didn't happen... or maybe it did. Either way trust me and go make this tomato pasta salad.
 
 
 
Have a fit + fantastic day y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment