I could eat Mexican food everyday, anytime, anywhere, for the rest of my life and you'd never hear a word of complaint from me. No sir, not ever.
But... I've come to learn that Mexican food isn't that great for you... like, at all.
So, I decided I'd changed that!
I whipped up this quick + easy Spicy Chicken Enchilada recipe in my head while I was day dreaming of chips and queso at work one day!
The most amazing part? It only has 120 calories and 3g of fat per Enchilada!
"Ain't-cha-gonna-wanna-eat-a-lotta" -- oh you're gonna wanna eat alotta this! ; )
120 calories per serving...that is just unheard of when it comes to Mexican food! Most enchiladas have 300 calories per serving (1 Enchilada) and over 10g of fat!
Eh... no thanks.
This recipe was very easy and only took 35 minutes to cook and the prep work took about 20 minutes -- depending on how fast you roll those tortillas!
5 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
24 Corn Tortillas
1 cup Fiesta Cheese Blend
4.5 ounces Low Fat Cream Cheese
4 ounces Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
1 jar of Verde Salsa
1 can Enchilada Sauce (Hot)
2 cans Rotel Canned Tomatoes with Green Chiles (Mild)
2 small cans Green Chiles (the size of about half a can)
1 packet Old El Paso Zesty Sour Cream Mix
1.5 TBSP Cilantro (dried)
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP Cayenne Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut Chicken breasts into medium sized cubes. In large sauce pan cook chicken on high heat. -- I seasoned my chicken with sprinkles of Cilantro, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, tiny bit of pepper and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
*I barely seasoned the Chicken because I was going to add the real spice later into the mixture!
2. After the chicken is cooked thoroughly (no pink + smells amazing), place in food processor and pulse until shredded evenly.
*I did this in 2 batches because my food processor is not very large.
3. Next, combine shredded Chicken, Cream Cheese, Greek Yogurt, 1.5 cans Rotel, 2 cans Green Chiles, Zesty Sour Cream mix, Cilantro, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Cayenne Pepper! Mix well!
*The picture was just so pretty with the seasonings on top -- but I stirred it all together after : )
4. Next, take your corn tortillas (I used small ones) and place 2 TBSP of the Chicken mixture into the center of the tortilla. Roll and place in a greased baking dish.
*My recipe makes 24 hearty enchiladas and could not all fit in the same dish -- I used a smaller baking dish as well that is not shown in the pictures.
*PS -- I used 1 cup cheese total, not 1 cup per dish!
6. Place in the oven for 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling on the sides!
*About 15 minutes in I pulled the dishes out and sprinkled with dried Cilantro leaves for aesthetic appeal and I LOVE cilantro! Then put the dishes back in!
After the first bite Madison said, "Well... these get second place. Mom's are still 1st..." [I think she was just sucking up to my Mom to be the favorite child ; ) ] after 5th bite -- "... okay actually, you can make these anytime.."
Two days later Madison says -- "Morgan, when are you making those enchiladas again...?"
Yeah, 24 enchiladas only last about a day and a half in this family -- remember they were healthy and I may or may not have eaten 4 of them on the first night I made them... ; ) (which was still under 500 calories for a dinner!)
Nutrition per Enchilada:
120 Calories, 15g Carbs, 3.3g Fat, 7.3g Protein
*Recipe makes 24 Enchiladas
Hope everyone is having an awesome Hump Day + stay tuned because tomorrow we have another GIVEAWAY coming to the blog!
Have a fit + fantastic day!