Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Avocado, Garlic Hummus + A Super Sweaty Workout!

I don't know what got into me yesterday, but I completely owned my workout...
If I would have been wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt, you would have mistaken me for Rocky.

Yesterday was Day 2 of the CHAARG BOOTY CAMP and the workout for yesterday was an intense 5k HIIT workout [HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training]. I honestly don't think I would have gotten through the workout without the right fuel, say hello to Avocado, Garlic Hummus!





This workout had me sweating glistening and here's how it went!
Warm Up:
Repeat 4X
High Knees
Criss Cross Jumps
Line Jumps

Workout:
5 Yard Sprints x 25 || Get in sprinter's stance, sprint, turn around -- walk back. Rest 5 seconds then repeat.

Four Point Runs x 10 || Set up four points in a square 8 yards apart. From Point 1 to Point 2 shuffle sideways. From Point 2 to Point 3 run backwards. From Point 3 to Point 4, shuffle sideways and from Point 4 to Point 1 sprint forwards. Rest 20 seconds, then repeat.

High Knee Runs x 10 || Set up two points, 20 yards from each other. Run with high knees from Point 1 to Point 2 -- turn around then run back [that equals one repetition]. Rest 10 seconds, then repeat.

5K HIIT || Using the Nike+ Running App log your distance throughout the 5K. Walk .05 miles then sprint .05 miles. Repeat until you have completed 2 miles total. Then jog 1 mile!

Let's just say Cabela and I got our butts kicked -- but we loved it! It was the perfect day for Cabela to run with me, it had been raining for a few hours so the pavement was cool and it actually felt good for a summer evening in Louisiana!

Cabela particularly enjoyed the sprinting... sprinting through the puddles that is. He ran around like a crazy beast, running and splashing, then rolling around -- I have never seen him like that before! I actually completely stopped sprinting and just laughed at him and to take his picture...
Now time for the recipe!

Ingredients:
2 Avocados (halved, seeded and peeled)
2 cloves Garlic (peeled and chopped)
1 large can Chickpeas (drained and rinsed -- thoroughly)
3 TBSP Olive Oil
1-2 TBSP Crushed Red Pepper
1-2 TBSP Cumin
1 TSP Garlic Salt
1 TSP Onion Powder

Directions:
1. Drain and rinse caned Chickpeas and place in food processor.
*Rinse them a lot, a lot, a lot, there is tons of juice and peelings that are at the bottom of the can that you do not want that in your hummus! Trust me. Rinse until the water coming from the can is clear and has no color.

2. Place Garlic cloves in food processor along with Chickpeas, scooped Avocado, Garlic Salt, 2 TBSP Olive Oil, Cumin, Red pepper flakes, and Onion powder.
*I was going to put lemon or lime juice in this but was completely out. If you have that I would add the juice of 1 lemon or lime, whatever your preferences for an added zest!
3. "Blend, baby blend -- hummus inferno" [get it?] until smooth and creamy!
*Looking back now I think I could have done this faster [and made it smoother] by blending the Chickpeas and the Avocado separately or by using an immersion blender!  
4. Once blended store in an airtight container, or get a spoon and go to town!
*I topped mine with 1 TBSP Olive Oil, Red pepper flakes, a pinch of cumin. When I brought it for lunch yesterday, I added a pinch of cayenne pepper and garlic salt for added spice, I'm all about the extra kick.
P.S. Do not be alarmed if you got to eat it the next day and it is not as green as when you first made it. Because of the Avocados it will start to brown, like when you make guacamole and go to eat it the next day. It tastes just fine but is not as pretty!
This is definitely going to be my go to pre-workout fuel and definitely a recipe I plan to play around with. This snack had the perfect amount of carbs to hold me through my workout and a great amount of good fats from the avocados!
 
Nutrition per Serving (about 2 large TBSP): 
174 Calories, 13.1g Carbs, 13.6g Fat, 3.4g Protein
*Recipe makes about 6-8 servings
 
 
That's all I have for today -- now I'm off to continue my day of hobbling around as a consequence trophy of yesterday's workout [can't. feel. my. legs.] + prepare for todays workout!
 
Have a fit + fantastic day!


 
 
Idea for this recipe adapted from here. 
Disclaimer: The workout above is not my creation nor do I claim I made it up -- CHAARG and Share It Fitness collaborated on this workout + it is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment