Friday, May 2, 2014

Quick, Low Cal Chicken Street Tacos!

This recipe is one of my all time favorites that I "created". I use that term loosely because I don't think I was the only person ever in the world to combine these 3 things to make this deliciousness.
 
 
Chicken Street Tacos have become a staple in my cooking ever since Peter made them a few months back. And is it just me or was I the only one who had NO idea what the definition of a "street taco" was? He looked at me like I was crazy for not knowing.
But once he whipped them up I was immediately on board and didn't care what you called it all I wanted was to eat it. All of it.
 
Peter makes his very simple, meat + cheese that's it. I like to spice mine up and add as many veggies as possible! The more ingredients I can throw in the better! Plus they are delicious. AND low calorie.

*Heads up - your head may explode in 2 seconds.

 This entire meal was 310 calories! That's including the sweet potatoes AND the flour tortillas.
While I was strict Paleo I realized how much I loved corn tortillas. They have an earthy/natural taste and make me feel better while eating tacos. Some Paleoites (I have no idea if that is what they prefer to be referred to as.. I just think it's funny) think of corn as a huge "no no" in their diet. I still don't know why... so I made up my own rule on that one!

The great thing about corn tortillas is 1 small corn tortilla is only 40 calories! If you were to substitute 2 corn tortillas for the flour ones, you would save 100 calories!
That's insane.
Check out below when I compare using Flour vs. Corn Tortillas in the Nutrition information section.
 
Normally I would have used corn but we were all out so the flour tortillas had to do!  
Ingredients:
1.5 Skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 cup Frozen sliced bell pepper medley
2 TBSP Taco seasoning
1 TSP Olive oil
2 Flour Tortillas
 
For toppings:
Taco Sauce (to taste)
Garlic Chipotle Salsa (to taste)
*If you ever do anything, ever, I mean ever, buy the Garlic Chipotle Salsa from Trader Joe's. You will not regret it.
 
Now before you freak and say "A taco without cheese, I cannot live without cheese on a taco!"
I was going to put a tiny bit on and told myself to keep it within moderation. Then I thought about it.  I have been trying to minimize my use of cheese because I think if I saw a doctor they would call me a cheese-a-holic. So I figured, why waste the calories and added fat for only a small amount of cheese that I probably wouldn't even taste? You will not miss the cheese because these tacos are already so flavorful!
 
Directions: 
1. Defrost Chicken and cut into small cubes. Place in pan on Hi heat with 1 TSP Olive Oil. Sprinkle 2 TBSP Taco Seasoning over chicken cubes.
2. Mix well so that every piece is covered. Allow chicken to cook through - this cooks very fast so if you have it on high make sure you stay near the pan and are constantly turning the chicken so they cook completely through and do not burn.
 3. Combine Frozen Bell Peppers with Chicken. The great thing about using frozen peppers is the ice from the peppers melts and combines with the Taco seasoning and makes a "sauce". I could drink this stuff...
4. Stir in peppers and cook until tender. Another great thing about adding the peppers, or more veggies in general, is it makes the batch so much bigger and much more filling! Plus adds tons of vitamins and nutrients to your meal.

5. After peppers are tender make sure chicken is thoroughly cooked and every inch is coated with the "sauce". Remove heat and serve! Top each taco with 1 TBSP Garlic Chipotle Salsa and Taco Sauce if desired.
 
I had sweet potatoes left over from when I made my Bacon, Kale Sweet Potato Eggs Benedict.So I had those on the side! Check out that post to see how I cooked them.
 
 
 
I still cannot get over that for two HUGE tacos the calories are so low! I could eat these every night. And I just might if I had that much chicken on hand. The nutrition for the meal does NOT include the sweet potatoes, just FYI!
 
 
Nutrition for 2 Tacos with Flour Tortillas:
260 Calories, 35.9g Carbs, 7.2g Fat, 9.5g Protein
 
Nutrition for 2 Tacos with Corn Tortillas:
160 Calories, 20g Carbs, 4.2g Fat, 7.6g Protein
 
 
 
 
 
 
Enjoy your mini fiesta!
 
 
 
Have a fit + fantastic day!
 
 
 
 
What are you favorite kinds of tacos?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment